Friday, February 7, 2014

TIAS Days 11 and 12, New Techniques and a Confession

Hello, my name is Kristen and I am a tatting book addict.

No really. I've ordered something like, oh, 15 new tatting books in the past 2 or so months.

Because, you know, I really needed that many more books. I clearly didn't have enough before (eyes rolling).

But I got some REALLY good titles, and some REALLY good deals! (Also I had a REALLY nice Amazon.com gift card from my in-laws this year, so most of the books were "free" to me...).

But seriously. It's ridiculous. (Awesomely ridiculous!!) :-D

So, since I admit I have a problem, the least I can do is to work using those books to learn something new:
Voilà!--Block tatting and that cool looking circley tatting that I've always wanted to know how to do but have never been able to figure out. Block tatting directions courtesy of "24 Snowflakes in Tatting," the circley thing from "The Craft of Tatting."
Two of only a few things I've tatted that my husband has said "That so cool!" about. Hoorah. :)

I also need to keep up with blogging my progress on Jane's TIAS:
Day 11
I still see Mary and Joseph...
 And then here's today's offering:
Day 12
 Of course, it hasn't been all tatting and buying books around here...I also made an amazingly delicious pizza (if you allow me a moment to brag):
Soooo good! Here's the recipe: http://cheese.food.com/recipe/deep-dish-spinach-and-mozzarella-pizza-171223. I promise, it's worth the work you have to put into it. (Also, add a tablespoon of sugar to the sauce recipe. It cuts the acidity by a lot!)
Besides the delicious pizza I've also been trying not to eat these:
 My mom sent me this bag this week and I'm doing my best to make these last as long as possible and not to eat the entire thing in one sitting.

I love love LOVE these and they are really hard for me to get, mostly becuase they are not a) sold in Russia (not surprisingly) or b) reasonably available online (quite surprisingly...Walmart.com says they are "out of stock online", Amazon.com wants to charge me $10 for a smallish bag, and Target.com blocks computers trying to log in from Russia. Bah.)

Also, I am really picky and I only like the Brach's kind...no SweetTarts or Necco for me, ick! :)

So, I'm making this delicious bag last as long as I can! Thanks awesome Mom! :)

Finally (really, this is a random post, isn't it?) here is something I found to be REALLY cool this week:
It's a pattern from a plastic tablecloth I found at work this week. Neat, right? It kind of looks like tatting...kind of...

Thanks for sticking with this rambling post. :)

Happy the Olympics start today!!! :)

13 comments:

  1. Gosh you must have nearly every book amazon sells on tatting, I look forward to seeing some great items from you in the future. I know the snowflake you are talking about at first I had a job with it but I got there in the end, not an easy one to do.
    Nice pattern on the tablecloth, you could trying to reproduce it in tatting.
    Now don't eat all the sweets in one go watching the Olympics will you, I will think of you watching the Olympics and eating those sweets.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, pretty much, it's pathetic. Sometime I'll do a post with my book list. :)

      We got together with some friends to watch the opening ceremonies today...there were definitely sweets involved! :)

      Delete
  2. Your new techniques seem to be doing very, very well!!! :)
    And, I can see where you see the possible tatting in that design!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :) I think it would be a fun challenge to try to tat something like the tablecloth pattern...I'm not so good at designing, but I might think about trying it! :)

      Delete
  3. Nice job on the block tatting and the 'circley' thing :-), awesome that you were able to get more books! that pizza looks yummy (wow, talk about deep dish!), I just bought some of the conversation hearts - Brach's - for the grandkids (I don't dare start eating them myself) and the pattern on the table clothe looks cool, maybe you could try re-creating it in tatting, one section/little piece at a time. (I thought I'd ramble on with you :-) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wasn't sure what the technical term for the "circley" thing was...still not sure, for that matter! I hope your grandkids enjoy their Brach's...I'm still holding out on mine! :)

      Delete
    2. Also...thanks for rambling with me! :) It's always better to ramble with friends :)

      Delete
  4. I like the circley thing too! and the color really looks good and love the blue pattern thing at end! I wonder if there is something you can do with that like tape it to a window and trace it and then...... not sure stitch to pillow I am thinking mmmm I''ll get back with you on that but do like it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does remind me of counted cross stitch and embroidery, too...I just thought it was a really cool tablecloth, I had never seen anything like it before, so I thought I would share :)

      Delete
  5. How interesting! Kristen, I just did a long piece of block tatting practice, though I used two colors so I could see it more clearly, and just started rose motifs myself. Mine aren't as big as yours, tho. A couple are pictured on my blog that links from 25 motif challenge. Next time I post on my blog, I will show my bigger pieces with the rose centers (sounds like a candy center, lol).

    I love your silvery thread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, the thread comes out silvery in all the pictures, but it's actually kind of a dusty blue...either way, I like it too! :)

      Delete
  6. Hi, Kristen. You inspired me to post my work on my blog. Have a look!
    http://batatattat.blogspot.com/2014/02/thoughts-on-tatting.html

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link! I love how you turned that heart into a bookmark! So great!

      Delete